Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Writing

In school I got a writing assignment. It was called "My summer."  So here it is. It's actually only the last half, but the other half is at school, so I'll try to show you that part. This part starts out talking about The Sound of Music, the play I was in.  I was Marta...


      I loved the songs! They were so fun (and hard) to learn. I enjoyed learning every note of each song. My favorite song was do re mi, because it had so many different parts for the kids to do. The other reason is because we swung on ropes while singing. I don’t know why, but the youngest people got the hard harmony. I wasn’t very glad at the time, because it was hard, but now that I know the harmony, I love to sing along!

    The next week of summer was recital week. I was in 4 dances. The first dance was called Help, and it was to the Beatles song Help. The costume was a shirt that was very colorful and 80's. That was with black jazz pants. I think that that was my favorite costume. In that dance there were so many girls! They were all my friends so it was really fun to work with them.

    The next dance I did was only 2 dances after my jazz dance Help, so I had to change really quick. I changed into my ballet costume for a dance called Minuet in G. That costume was a blue beaded top connected to a purple and blue poofy skirt. In that dance were only a few people from Help, but a lot of other friends, and a good teacher that made it exiting. That dance was so fun, and elegant.

    After another quick change I did another ballet dance with third graders. The reason I did it is because that was the class that my mom taught. One of the girls couldn’t make it to the recital that night, so my mom taught me the dance and I went to a few of the classes and learned the dance. I borrowed the girl’s costume that was a black and white dress that was very flowy and pretty. That dance was fun because we got to use a prop. That prop was a small arch of pink flowers.

    My final dance was in a different cast and a different night. It was a modern dance called Planets. The costume was weird because it was a unitard with gauchos on the bottom! In this dance we also got to use props. Everyone in the dance had a big ball. The balls looked like planets, and we danced with them the whole dance. The Planets dance was the 2nd dance in the whole recital. (Scary!!) That was a fun dance to do with the ball, because the ball was a whole different experience.

    My family spent most of the summer at the Oak Ridge Country Club. The pool of course! It felt refreshing every time you jumped in, got in slowly to get used to the cool rippled water, or just dipped your toe in. They had a snack bar, so all of my little siblings were always begging for a treat. “On the last day.” my mom would always say. By the end there were other special occasions other than the last day were we did get treats. When it finally came to the last day we... got treats! Well what do you expect? Of course I got a chocolate Ben & Jerry’s ice cream cone with fudge and brownies in it and covered in chocolate. Yes. It was delish.

    There was a time when we weren’t at the pool and that is when we went to our grandma and grandpas cabin in Idaho. We went there for the 24th of July Preston Parade. We didn’t expect to come home with a puppy! OK the story is we were waiting for the parade to start and walking up the street, when we came to a box of puppies. They were sooooooooooo cute! Everyone was holding one and my dad said “ no. Come on!” so I waked with my family down to the end of the street. I wanted to see the puppies again so bad so my sister and I ran down the street, and saw that people were holding all of the puppies but one. The guy that was selling them said “no one wants to hold blondie.” I looked at that tiny puppy and picked it up. By then my dad and family were caught up. I asked my dad if I could get the puppy. I told him to hold her, thinking he would be attached to her sweet little eyes in a second. My dad told me that if the puppy peed on him right then, we’d get her. She didn’t pee, but my dad still held her. My dad said once again, “ we have a dog at home we don’t need another one.” So I walked back to our parade spot and sat down. After that I realized that my dad had stayed back! I waited for what seemed like days until......I SAW HIM WITH THE PUPPY!!!!!!! I can’t tell you how exited I was. My aunts and uncles were there and they could not believe we had a new dog. My family was planning on staying over night at the cabin, but with the puppy we had to drive home. Also on the drive home I named her Prestyn, because we got her at the Preston Parade. We call her Prestie.

Oh, did I tell you that the flu was going around the family? Well on the ride home I got sick and threw up. I won’t give details on that, but lets just say that when I got home, I was glad to be. All that night I was sick, and all that night the puppy barked. That night I wanted to get Prestyn, but I was just too sick.  She is a yorkiepoo and has curly hair that’s the color of mine, and long thick eyelashes. She is so cute, and I love her!
WHAT A GREAT SUMMER!!
        By Ruby Dopp

1 comment:

Lexie said...

That is awesome! You should do this more often!